Summary: SQL Server is one of the most important software required by every business. But, sometimes you lose your valuable information and want to restore database backup in SQL server 2012. In such a scenario, you will require some simple and effective methods to get your database items back. Here, we explain how to restore SQL server 2012 backup in a few simple steps.
SQL Server is an RDBMS (Relational Database Management System) developed by Microsoft. It is a database management software that is primarily used to store information and retrieve it when needed.
As the SQL Server deals with data, saving it for further use is mandatory. However, often, due to various reasons, the information saved on the SQL Server gets damaged or may get lost. Therefore, it is necessary to create a backup database SQL Server 2012 that helps you to restore your data at the time of need.
Corrupted SQL Database Backup File?
Repair database backup file via DRS SQL Backup Recovery Tool.
How to Restore Database Backup in SQL Server 2012
To restore a backup file on SQL Server, you must have the SQL Server Management Studio. It is an application to manage and configure your SQL server. This application allows you to execute various operations to retrieve and manipulate information saved on the Server.
Prerequisites to Restore SQL Server Database Backup
Before starting to migrate the mailbox data, you must have to fulfill some prerequisites for the migration. A healthy backup file (.bak) of the database you want to restore is necessary to have before initiating the migration. Also, make sure that the version of the database backup should not be greater than the version of SQL Server.
Restore Database Backup using SQL Server Management Studio (SSMS)
- Launch the SQL Server Management Studio (SSMS) and connect it to the required SQL instance.
- In the Object Explorer section, you will see many directories and subdirectories.
- Right-click on the Database option and select the Restore Database option.
- It will open the Restore Database wizard. Check if the Source and Destination databases are correct. Expand the drop-down to change them.
- Click on the Timeline button and opt whether you want to restore the last backup or database items of a specific date range. Press OK to proceed further.
- Now, switch to the Files tab from the left pane and tick the Relocate all Files to Folder option.
- You can also change the name of the database file as per your requirement.
- Click on the OK button to proceed further.
- After that, switch to the Options tab and choose any of the below options as per your requirement from the Restore Options tab.
- In the Recovery State, three recovery modes are available:
- RESTORE WITH RECOVERY: It rolls back the uncommitted transaction and leaves the database ready to use.
- RESTORE WITH NORECOVERY: It does not roll back the uncommitted transaction, so the database can not be used until the process has been finished.
- RESTORE WITH STANDBY: It leaves the database read-only and does not save the changes. So, the backup restoration can be undone.
- Finally, click on the OK button to restore the database backup in the SQL server.
Want to Repair Damaged SQL database files?
Download the DRS SQL Database Recovery Tool and repair the corrupted file
What If the SQL Database Backup File is Corrupted?
The above procedure to restore database backup in SQL server 2012 is only possible when you have the backup file in a healthy state. If the database backup file is corrupted, you will not be able to retrieve the required information. So, you need to repair the damaged file before restoring the database.
Now, the question is, How to repair the corrupted SQL database backup file?
We recommend you opt for the most advanced and reliable solution to repair the corrupted backup SQL server 2012 file and restore the data to its original state. Let us check about it.
Pro Method to Restore Database Backup in SQL Server
DRS SQL Database Backup Recovery Tool is a simple and effective software to repair corrupted .bak files. So, you can easily restore a SQL Server database backup for SQL Server 2012. Moreover, this application also extracts the database .mdf and .ldf files. It provides all the advanced functionalities to simplify and process, and enhance the user experience. Along with that, it supports backup files created by any version of SQL database backup.
If your SQL database files (.mdf and .ldf) are corrupted, you can opt for the efficient DRS SQL Database Recovery Tool. This prominent utility is capable of repairing damaged .mdf and .ldf files effectively. Using the application, you can repair heavily corrupted .mdf and .ldf files.
I hope this article provides you with all the necessary information regarding how to restore database backup in SQL server 2012. You must have the SQL Server Management Studio to perform the required operations. The above approach will not work if the .bak file is corrupted. Therefore, it is suggested to repair the damaged database backup file using the advanced SQL Database Backup Recovery Tool.