Office 365 offers a wide range of user-oriented functionalities that attracts the user towards it. Because of these functionalities and services, many users import their PST files to Office 365. This blog explains some easy methods that you can adopt to import PST to Office 365 mailbox.
Before going ahead, you must understand that Office 365 is prone to data corruption because of several reasons like hardware failure, malicious hackers, human operational errors, etc. So, it is essential to keep the backup of Office 365 data. We can keep the backup using an Office 365 Backup tool that Saves and Download Office 365 Mailboxes to PST, EML, EMLX, MSG, MBOX, HTML, and MHTML.
What Makes Users Import PST File to Office 365?
- PST files are not centrally managed; it is difficult to identify to whom they belong and where they are.
- There is a file size limitation on Outlook PST files. Large PST files can lead to Data corruption.
- There is no need to update Office 365 as Office 365 is always available with the latest version.
- Office 365 is a cloud-based service allowing the user to access it from anywhere with an internet connection.
- Office 365 provides greater security than PST files. Even the password-protected PST files are not entirely secure.
Ways to Migrate or Import PST to Office 365
Here, I’ve described two methods for importing Outlook PST data to Office 365.
Method 1. Using Microsoft Azure Store
Method 2. By configuring Outlook and Office 365
Method 3. Upload PST Data to Office 365 Using Backup Utility
Let’s explore both methods.
Method 1. Using Microsoft Azure Storage Explorer Tool
In this method, we will be using Microsoft Azure Storage Explorer to export PST files to Office 365. We use the Azure store that keeps the PST files temporarily, and then we import the PST files to a specific Exchange mailbox. So, this method consists of 2 steps as follows.
Part 1. Uploading PST files from system to the Azure store
Office 365 offers a free storage place called Azure store to its customers. you can upload items in this storage that lasts for a duration of 60 days. Follow the steps below to upload your PST files to the Azure store.
- First of all, maintain the simple names of the PST files. Rather than using special characters or spaces, it would help if you kept the name of the files simple so that they are easily accessible.
- Each O365 user is provided with free cloud storage on the Azure store. For importing our PST file for the first time, we need a URL address. To generate the URL address, we need to use the Office 365 admin interface (security and compliance center), and after generating the URL, the same URL will be used for all the further PST files import.
- Now, we have to upload the files to the Azure store. We upload files using free Microsoft tools – Azcopy command-line utility and Microsoft Azure Storage Explorer. Now download and install the “Azure Active Directory store” utility, we need to “instruct” the Microsoft Azure Storage Explorer tool, how to connect to our dedicated Azure store (containing our PST files). The Microsoft Azure Storage Explorer will help in uploading the PST files.
Part 2. Importing the PST files to Exchange Online Mailbox
We will use Office 365 Security & compliance Web admin interface to import the PST files from the Azure store to a specific Exchange Online mailbox.
- First of all, we need to create a CSV (Comma Separated Value) file that will work as a mapping file between the specific PST file and special Exchange Online mailbox(which will host that PST file).
- Now, by using Office 365 Security & compliance Web admin interface, we will create a “New Import Job.” By doing this, we inform Office 365 that we want to import some PST files from Azure Store to specific Exchange Online mailbox.
- Now, we have to validate the CSV file for errors. If there will be any error, they will be shown on the screen.
- Now, we are all set to perform the import. We will get two options.
- You can Immediately start the PST file import process.
- You can Apply a filter to the information stored in the PST file and then start the PST file import process. For example, exclude specific folders.
- After selecting any one of the Option, the import process will be completed.
Method 2. Configure Office 365 to Outlook Account and Import PST
Using this method, you can import the Outlook mails, calendars, contacts, tasks, etc. to Office 365 account. Hence, follow the below steps to import PST to Office 365.
- Configure an Email id (say, Yahoo) in MS Outlook application. Wait for a few minutes to show up all the contacts and e-mail.
- Add your Office 365 account in the same Outlook profile, Then let the program sync with all the existing content into Office 365.
- Now, convert the PST file from Microsoft Outlook, which is to be uploaded in Office 365. This step is necessary if the source .pst is not orphaned.
- After completing the Previous step, Go to the File >> Open and Export >> Import/ Export.
- Import-Export Windows open in which you have to choose Import from another program or file option. After this, click Next.
- Two options will be displayed, select Outlook Data File .pst >> Next.
- Click on the Browse button to continue the process to import PST files to Office 365.
- Now, please select the location where the PST file is to be saved, select it, and click on Open.
- Click on the Next and select Office 365 id in Import items into the same folder.
- Lastly, click on Finish to begin the process of migrating PST data to Outlook 365.
We have already come across two methods to export PST to Office 365. Now, we will be discussing another effective way.
Method 3. Import PST to Office 365 Using Backup and Restore Utility
In this method, we will be using an Office 365 Backup and Restore Utility tool to export our PST files content to O365.
Steps to Upload Outlook PST to Office 365 Mailbox using Backup Utility:
- Firstly, we have to download and install the software.
- After launching the software, we will get two options-
- Office 365 Backup
- Office 365 Restore
- Select Office 365 Restore option and click Proceed.
- Enter the Office 365 login credentials and click Login.
- Now, select the “Add PST files” option and add the PST files.
- Choose the desired mailbox where you want to import your PST files. You can also exclude folders that you don’t want to backup. Click continue.
- In a few minutes, your PST files will be exported to the O365 mailbox with all the content.
- Lastly, save the process information into CSV format for future reference, and we are done.
Using this third method, you can export PST files of any size to O365 without any hassle. The below video tutorial will help you to know more about the working and features that utility offers:
Comparing all the above-discussed methods:
Till now, we have discussed three ways to import PST files to O365. But, which one is the best technique! We will try to help you out. The first two methods discussed here are manual techniques. They must be adopted if you have an excellent technical background, and the size of the data is small. You must keep a backup of Office 365 data if you are going for any of the first two methods. The third method mentioned here is an automated way, and there is no requirement of any technical knowledge, and neither there is any risk of data loss or alteration.
Let’s discuss why the 3rd method is better then the first two:
- Assign Impersonation rights to access multiple O365 mailboxes at once.
- You get a CSV file after the export process that contains all the information about the processes performed.
- You can Export Office 365 mailbox to other email clients like Gmail, Thunderbird, Yahoo, Zimbra, and IMAP too.
- The utility is compatible with all the versions of Mac and Windows OS.
- It is offered as a free demo version as well to evaluate the working.
Here we have discussed excellent methods using which you can easily import PST to Office 365. The technique is capable of importing all the PST files contents including emails, calendars, tasks, appointments, contacts to Office 365. But, you must keep in mind the data safety of Office 365. You must keep the backup of O365 mailbox and copy of Outlook PST so that you can recover their mailbox data from any data loss circumstances.