User Query: “My organization sent me a PST file that contains all the important contacts of our clients. Now, I want to access this PST file but I do not have MS Outlook installed on my PC. Please suggest some easy ways on how to convert PST contacts to CSV without Outlook. Any help would be appreciated.”
We received this query a few days ago. Now, it seems as if it is the problem of one person. But this is not the case. In fact, we get similar queries often. So, we decided to answer this question through a detailed blog. It will cover all the important aspects regarding file conversion like why this conversion is required and how to convert PST to CSV file format. So, read the article till the end to get answers to all your queries.
What Separates PST from CSV File Formats?
The Outlook PST file is an offline copy of your Outlook mailbox that contains all your emails and other mailbox data. This file extension is widely used for saving Outlook emails as backup and sharing mailbox data to other devices. The PST file extension is the proprietary file format of MS Outlook.
A CSV or Comma Separated Value file is a text file that contains data separated by a comma. You can open the file via any text editor or through a spreadsheet program. This file type is preferred to save tabular data. So, you can easily manage your Outlook contacts in CSV file format.
Why Need to Convert PST Contacts to CSV Without Outlook?
When a user wants to back up their Outlook emails locally, PST is the best file type. However, it is not that favorable for saving your Outlook contacts. Below we explain some advantages of CSV file format over PST file type for storing Outlook contacts.
- PST files are suitable for saving emails from your Outlook mailbox. It is a backup file. On the other hand, a CSV file is ideal for storing tabular data containing fields. Therefore, it is favorable for saving contacts.
- Another reason for converting PST to CSV file format is that CSV file has greater supportability with different devices and on different platforms as compared to PST file format.
- You can easily share, access, and edit content in CSV file format but to modify the file content in PST file format, you will require an MS Outlook application.
These are the most prominent reasons for converting PST contacts to CSV file format. Now, let us take a look at how to perform the file conversion.
Two Best Approaches to Convert PST Contact File to CSV File Type
Converting PST contact files to CSV file format is possible with and without MS Outlook installation. If you have an Outlook application in your system, you simply need to perform a few steps to convert PST contact file to CSV file format. It is the manual approach. Alternatively, you can use a professional tool to export Outlook PST contacts to CSV without Outlook. We will describe both these methods for converting PST to CSV.
#1. Convert PST to CSV With MS Outlook
If you have MS Outlook installed on your PC, you can easily convert PST contacts to CSV file format by performing some simple steps. Follow the below instructions to change PST to CSV file format.
- Open MS Outlook on your PC and click on the File
- After that, choose the Open & Export tab and click on the Import/Export option.
- Now, select the Import from another program or file option and hit Next.
- Select the Outlook data file (.pst) option and press the Next button.
- Click Browse and select the desired PST file. Click Next to proceed further.
- After that, choose the items you want to import to Outlook and hit Next.
You have successfully added the orphan PST file to MS Outlook. Now, you have to perform the below steps to convert the Outlook PST contacts to CSV file format.
- In MS Outlook, click on the File button and again select the Open & Export tab.
- Click on the Import/Export Select the Export to a file option and hit Next.
- Choose the Comma Separated Value (.csv) option and click on the Next button.
- After that, select the PST contacts that you want to export and hit Next.
- Now, click on the Browse button to define the saving location. At last, click on the Finish button.
After performing the above procedure, anyone can Export PST Contact File to CSV file format. However, this method requires you to install MS Outlook on your PC. Also, you cannot convert your PST file to other file types.
Also Read: Convert PST File to PDF With Attachments
#2. Export PST Contacts to CSV without Outlook
To convert PST contacts to CSV without Outlook installation, the best solution is DRS PST Converter Tool. It enables you to export Outlook contacts to CSV as well as to many other file formats like MBOX, EML, MSG, PDF, PNG, etc. If you want to transfer your Outlook contacts to your mailbox account, this utility also helps you to migrate PST to Gmail, Office 365, Yahoo Mail, Thunderbird, etc. Along with that, the application has a very simple and interactive GUI. Therefore, it is an ideal solution for both technical and non-technical users.
Why Use PST to CSV Converter to Convert PST to CSV File Format?
- This software is a secure and reliable solution for converting PST files to CSV format sustaining the data integrity.
- You can also save PST files into various formats and migrate your Outlook emails to different email providers.
- The application helps you to filter out all the unnecessary mailbox data from file conversion.
- This software is quite interactive and easy to use. Any non-technical user can use the software without any technical expertise.
- Widely compatible with all versions of Windows OS.
Follow the below steps to convert contacts from Outlook PST to CSV file format without Outlook installation
- Download and install the DRS PST File Converter Tool. Run it as administrator.
- Tick the Single File/Multiple Files option and press the Next button.
- After that, click on the Select Files button and choose the desired file from your system. Press Open to add the file.
- Now, the selected file will appear in the list. Hit Next to proceed further.
- Check the mailbox preview and tick the required items. Hit Next.
- Expand the Save/Backup/Migrate As field and choose CSV file format.
- Choose other options as per your requirement and click on the Convert button.
After performing the above procedure, you can easily convert Contacts from PST to CSV.
We have delivered all the effective solutions to know how to convert PST contacts to CSV without Outlook as well as via Outlook application. We described the need for saving your Outlook contacts in CSV file format. The professional approach for converting PST to CSV is more effective because it offers various functionalities to simplify file conversion.
Lets Watch the Video Demonstration