Summary: Are you an SQL Server Administrator? If yes, you should better know how to restore master database in SQL Server without backup. To help you out, we will explain the best solution to rebuild your master database without backup.
SQL stands for Server Query Language and is used to retrieve and manipulate data from the database. SQL Server is a relational database management system developed by Microsoft to store, retrieve, and edit data. It allows you to access the stored data when asked by other applications.
Sometimes, the master database file of the SQL server gets damaged. This file records the system-level information like login account, system configuration settings, etc. Now, you cannot access the data in your database when the master database has been damaged. Therefore, you need to rebuild the database file if you want to get all the information accessible.
We will guide you to restore the master database in SQL Server 2019 without backup. But first, let us learn what causes database file corruption.
Why Causes SQL Server File Corruption?
There might be numerous reasons that damage the master database file of the SQL server. As it is the main database file that stores valuable information, it becomes necessary to repair it. Below are some of the most prominent causes of SQL database corruption.
- The first and most common reason is a virus attack.
- Hard disk failure also causes SQL database corruption.
- System failure or any issue in the system that makes SQL database inaccessible.
- Corrupt MDF and NDF files are one of the most prominent reasons.
Now, you have learned what causes SQL server corruption. It is time to explore the best possible solutions to restore the master database without backup.
Also Read: How to Backup SQL Database and Restore from One Server to Another
How to Restore Master Database in SQL Server Without Backup
The method to rebuild the Master Database requires you to perform a multi-step procedure. First, you need to take a backup of some SQL database files necessary for complete data recovery. After that, rebuild the database and move it to the desired location.
Step 1: Backup Healthy Files
The first thing you need to do is take a backup of MSDB Data, Log, Model, and Mode logs. As only the Master database is damaged, creating a backup of other valuable data will help you to prevent data loss during the rebuilding.
Follow the below steps to rebuild the master database in SQL server 2016 without backup.
- Launch SQL Server Configuration Manager.
- Choose the SQL Server Services option to check the currently running services.
- Select a running service and right-click on it. Click on the Stop option.
- Repeat the process for all running services that you want to stop.
- After that, close the SQL Server Configuration Manager.
- Now, go to the following location and cut all the necessary files.
|C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\[INSTANCE NAME]\MSSQL\DATA|
Step 2: Rebuild the Master Database
After successfully moving the additional files, the next step is to restore master database in SQL Server. For that, follow the steps mentioned below.
- Open the Command Prompt as administrator.
- Change the directory location to the SQL Server 2016 installation.
- After that, enter the following command in the command prompt.
|Setup /QUIET /ACTION=REBUILDDATABASE /INSTANCENAME=InstanceName /SQLSYSADMINACCOUNTS=accounts [ /SAPWD=StrongPassword][ /SQLCOLLATION=CollationName]|
When you restore master database from the command prompt, you may not receive the message of finishing the rebuilding. So, you need to check the summary.txt file to ensure that the process has been completed or not.
The location of the summary.txt file is
C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\130\Setup Bootstrap\Logs
Step 3: Restoring the SQL Database
- First, restart all the SQL Services that were stopped earlier.
- Restore the Databases, Models, and other files from the backup.
- If you do not have a backup, replace the MSDB and model files with the backed-up files.
After performing all the above-mentioned steps, you will become able to successfully restore the master database in SQL Server without backup. However, there is a problem with the above techniques to recover the data.
Are DIY Solutions to Rebuild Master DB in SQL Server?
The above-mentioned DIY technique is not viable for every user. Sometimes, even the technical experts are unable to perform these steps accurately. Moreover, there are some other limitations of the manual method.
- Manual methods are time-consuming.
- Chances of file corruption are high.
- Technical proficiency is mandatory.
Now, after learning about these drawbacks, you might ask, what should I do to restore my Master Database in SQL Server 2019?
The answer is by using a professional solution.
Professional Tool to Restore Master Database in SQL Server Without Backup
DRS SQL Database Recovery Software is the most efficient utility to restore master DB in SQL server 2012, 2016, 2019. It is fast, accurate, and does not require any technical expertise. Thus, no matter what your technical proficiency is, you can recover your SQL database easily. The advanced application has all the features to restore the maximum possible data without disturbing the file integrity. Therefore, it is the best solution for all users.
How to Restore MDF files through DRS SQL Database Recovery Tool?
Follow the below instructions to restore your SQL Server database file.
- Download and install the SQL Recovery Software. Run it as administrator.
- Now, click on the Open button to repair the damaged database file.
- Press the Browse button and select the desired MDF file.
- After that, select the Recovery Mode and other options. Click on the OK button.
- You will see the recovered data in the tree structure. Select the desired item and press Save.
- Opt from Windows Authentication or Server Authentication.
- Now, choose the remaining options as per your requirement.
- Finally, click on the OK button to save the recovered data.
We have learned what SQL is and how it works. We explained to you different causes that make SQL databases inaccessible. Further, we provide you with the best solution to deal with the query “How to Restore Master Database in SQL Server Without Backup”. At last, we suggest you the professional SQL recovery tool that helps you to repair damaged MDF and NDF files.