Microsoft Excel is an essential spreadsheet used to manage all the crucial data like records, contacts, etc. It helps users to organize data manipulations like arithmetic operations. It is a part of Microsoft Office suite developed by Microsoft which comes with regular enhancement updates every year. However, when users updates and open their older version of Excel file to the newer version, they often come across an error says “The file is corrupted and cannot be opened” Excel 2010.
Errors like “The file is corrupted and cannot be opened” in Excel spreadsheet can create a serious problem which leads to data inaccessibility or data loss. Hence, keeping the user requirement in mind, we are going to provide both manual and professional solutions to recover Excel file from its corrupt stage.
Reasons and common errors faced by users:
There are several reasons which caused Excel file to corrupt such as virus attack, sudden system shutdown, storage issue, up-gradation issue, compatibility issue, etc. Here’s a list of common errors faced by users more often:
- Unable to read the file
- Excel found unreadable content in xyz.xlsx
- The file is corrupt and cannot be opened
- Data may have been lost
Ways to resolve “The file is corrupt and cannot be opened”
Whenever MS Excel users face such errors, their essential data becomes inaccessible or corrupted. Therefore, to deal with such circumstances, you can follow any of these below methods.
Method 1: Troubleshoot Component Services settings:
- Go to Run, and type dcomcnfg
- It will lead you to the Component Services window. Here under Console Root, you need to click on the component services to expand the Computer folder in the left pane of the window.
- Now, right click on the My Computer and click on Properties. It will show you My Computer Properties window where you need to click on Default Properties tab.
- Here, you need to check the checkbox Enable Distributed COM on this computer, then under Default Authentication Level, select as Connect. Now under Default Impersonation Level, select as Identify and click OK.
Method 2: Troubleshoot Protected View Settings:
- Click on File tab, and go to Options.
- Under the Options window, opt for Trusted Centre and click on Trusted Centre Settings.
- Now select Protected View and uncheck entire options available there and click on OK.
What if manual methods don’t work?
However, both the above manual methods are not reliable and trustworthy. Furthermore, it is quite difficult for non-technical users to perform the manual task as it requires more technical knowledge. Hence, if you want a risk free solution to repair Excel file, you can opt for Excel Recovery tool. The tool is embedded with many advanced features. Few of them are discussed below:
1. Excel Recovery tool helps to recover deleted excel file.
2. Swift recovery of the table, chart, image, filter, fields, formula, etc. instantly.
3. Preview option facility to see recovered excel spreadsheet prior to saving.
4. Supports all editions of MS Excel including 2016, 2013, and all the earlier versions.