Microsoft Outlook is one of the leading software applications one can have on a computer system. It has several remarkable features that users are luredMicrosoft exchange server reported error 0x80040116 to it. Also, it does not crash that frequent since it is a stable email application. However, under some instances, it faces corruption and displays some sorts of error messages. One such error that Outlook generates is Outlook Error 0X80040116. It generally occurs when Outlook fails to access an Outlook PST file. If you encounter such error then you must look for an efficient way to fix Outlook PST error 0X80040116.
The error code 0x80040116 displays the following message:
- Microsoft exchange server reported error 0x80040116
- “xxx.pst cannot be accessed – 0x80040116 (“xxx.pst” is PST file name)”
- “Sending and receiving reported error (0x80040116): unknown error 0x80040116”
- “Outlook.pst cannot be accessed – 0x80040116”
After knowing about the error messages with which the Outlook error may be encountered, the first question that comes in your mind is what are the reasons for the occurrence of this error? So, let’s discuss here.
Probable causes of Outlook error 0x80040116
There are several causes for the occurrence of the Outlook error 0X80040116 error as mentioned below:
- Corruption in the header file
- Bulkiness in Outlook mailbox
- Improper shutdown of Outlook
- Corrupted or damaged Outlook PST file
- Large sized PST file
- Installation of Anti-virus program
But, of these reasons, a major reason for the occurrence of the “Outlook.pst cannot be accessed- error 0x80040116” comes out to be the corrupted Outlook PST file that may lead to loss of data.
Solutions to fix the Outlook error 0x80040116
There are possibly three methods to troubleshoot the error 0x80040116. Let’s dig out them one by one.
Solution #1: Create a new Outlook profile and PST file
Go through the below steps to create a new Outlook PST file.
- Open the Control Panel and point to Mail option.
- Click on Show Profiles option in the Mail Setup wizard.
- A new window will be prompt out once you click on show profiles. Now, click on Properties and further on Data Files.
- In the Account settings wizard, choose the option “Set as default”.
- Using these steps, you’ll get Outlook Data File. Now click New under the Email tab.
- Under the “Add New Account” window, enable radio button Email Account and fill all the required credentials.
Solution #2: Repair PST file using Microsoft inbuilt scanpst.exe Repair Tool
Microsoft has facilitated the users with an inbox repair tool aka scanpst.exe to repair corrupt PST file. It may work if there is some minor corruptions in the PST file. There is no need for scanpst.exe download. Users can find it at certain specified locations depending on various versions of Windows. However, there are certain limitations associated with this Microsoft inbuilt Inbox Repair Tool as:
- Fails to repair lost and found/deleted items folder.
- Run Time Error occurs while repairing PST file.
- For older versions of Outlook, there is a file size limit of 2GB.
- Not able to repair headers and directory structure of PST file.
Solution #3: Repair Outlook PST using PST Repair software to fix Outlook error 0x80040116
As discussed above, using the scanpst.exe you can fix only minor corruptions in the PST file. For severe corruption in PST, you need an Outlook PST Repair tool. It is a reliable and efficient solution having some remarkable features.
Outlook error 0X80040116 is one of the frequent errors that appear when Microsoft Outlook cannot access a PST file. There are certain causes why this error appears on the screen. One of the major reasons behind the error message is corrupted Outlook PST file. There are certain methods using which one can repair the corrupted PST file to resolve this error.