Summary: Almost every Outlook user has encountered some type of Outlook issue. One of the most frequent Outlook problems is the 0x80040154 Outlook error. There can be many possible reasons for this Outlook issue. One of which is corrupted Outlook PST files. You can manually repair the Outlook data file. However, the best solution is to use the professional PST Recovery Tool.
What Does 0x80040154 Outlook Error Mean?
Outlook error 0x80040154 indicates that the Outlook configuration settings have been tampered with. Someone might accidentally delete or unregister the ‘inetcomm.dll’ file. Thus, you are encountering the error 0x80040154 in Windows 10 or any other version.
Along with that, there are many other reasons for the same Outlook issue. Let us see some of the most common causes of the Outlook issue.
Possible Reasons for Outlook Error 0x80040154
For any Outlook error, there can be many possible reasons, and based on that you have to adopt an appropriate solution to fix the issue. Therefore, it is of utmost importance to learn all the major causes of 0x80040154 Outlook error. Below we discussed some common and prominent reasons.
- The inetcomm.dll file is not registered. You might accidentally delete this file.
- The intrusion of a malicious program also leads to the corruption of root files and folders. Thus, it is another considerable cause of the Outlook error.
- A corrupted Office 365 setup leads to various issues. Outlook error 0x80040154 is also the outcome of a damaged Office setup.
- Improper shutdown damages files at the root and further leads to the error 0x80040154.
- Faulty Outlook add-ins also result in Outlook issues like error code 0x80040154.
- Incorrect configuration settings cause the error.
These are some common and significant reasons for the Outlook code 0x80040154. Now, it is time to learn how to resolve the Outlook error code.
How to Fix Error Code 0x80040154 in Outlook
Like the reasons for the 0x80040154 Outlook error message, there are multiple solutions for the Outlook 0x80040154 issue. All these methods are free of cost and easy to perform. You need to perform some simple steps on your Windows PC to fix the Outlook issue. Let us check different methods to fix the issue.
#1. Repairing the Office Setup
- Open Control Panel and select the Uninstall a Program option.
- After that, choose the Office setup and press the Change button.
- Now, a Microsoft repair wizard will appear. Tick the Quick Repair option and click on the Repair button.
- Again, click on the Repair button to start the repairing of the Office setup.
- Wait till the process has been completed. After finishing the process, click on the Close button.
#2. Registering the inetcomm.dll File
As mentioned above, another common reason for the error 0x80040154 is deleted or unregistered inetcomm.dll file. If this is the case, you must re-register the intecomm.dll. You can re-register the inetcomm.dll by the following steps.
- Press Win+R to open the run command.
- Type “regsvr32 inetcomm.dll” and press Enter.
- After that, follow the instructions that appear on the screen.
#3. Fix the Issue Using Microsoft Support and Recovery Assistant Utility
Microsoft Support and Recovery Assistant (SARA) is an application that conducts tests on Outlook or other Microsoft tools and figures out the issue and its causes. After that, it suggests to you the best possible solution to resolve the issue. You can download it from the official Microsoft store. After that, launch the utility and select options as per your concern. It will surely fix the 0x80040154 Outlook error on Windows OS.
#4. Disable Faulty Outlook Add-ins
When an Outlook add-in obstructs the normal functionalities of MS Outlook, you will encounter numerous Outlook issues. Error code 0x80040154 is one such error message. Therefore, you have to disable the faulty add-in. Follow the below steps to disable the Outlook add-in.
- Open MS Outlook and click on the File button.
- After that, select the Options tab from the left section.
- Now, choose the Add-ins option and scroll down and click on the Manage button.
- Unselect the faulty Add-in and press OK to save the change.
- It will resolve the Outlook error 0x80040154 caused due to problematic Outlook add-in.
#5. Corrupted Outlook Data File
Another common and significant reason for the Outlook issue is corrupted/damaged Outlook data files. These are the offline copies of your Outlook mailbox so that you can access your mailbox data without an Internet connection. You can repair the data file using the Inbox Repair Tool or SCANPST.EXE. Follow the below steps to repair the corrupted PST file using scanpst.exe.
- Open File Explorer and go to the following location.
C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\root\Office16
- Now, launch the tool. Click on the Browse button and choose the file.
- Click on the Start button to start file scanning.
- After completing the scan, press the Repair button to start file repair.
- You will see the Repair Complete pop-up. Click OK to close it.
Although scanpst.exe is effective in repairing corrupted/damaged Outlook data files, it can not restore heavily corrupted files. Therefore, you will require a professional PST Recovery Tool to repair severely damaged files and resolve the error 0x80040154 in Windows 10.
Best Alternative to the SCANPST.EXE for PST Recovery
DRS PST File Recovery Tool is the best utility for repairing corrupted/damaged Outlook data files and fixing the error code 0x80040154. It has various functionalities like multiple file recovery modes, date filtering of mailbox items, encryption, etc. Moreover, it allows you to save the recovered Outlook mailbox in distinct file types. The application is easy to use and widely compatible with all versions of Windows OS.
The 0x80040154 Outlook Error occurs due to multiple reasons like unregistered or deleted inetcomm.dll files, faulty add-ins, Outlook data file corruption, etc. Based on that, there are various solutions like reregistering the inetcomm.dll file, disabling faulty add-ins, and repairing corrupted Outlook data files. If the Outlook error occurs due to a corrupted data file, the best solution is to use the advanced PST File Recovery tool.