Are you looking for ways to export Gmail emails to CSV? If yes, then you have arrived at the right place. In this blog, we will be providing you the best and easy steps so that you can export your Gmail email data to the CSV file format.
The CSV file format stands for Comma-Separated Values. It is a widely used file format in MS Excel. It is used to store huge tabular data in the form of spreadsheets to manage it easily. The Gmail email can also be stored in CSV file formats along with its contacts.
Among all email clients, Gmail is the most widely used email client around the globe. As per Google, Gmail has approximately 1.5 billion users spread across several countries. Its user base has increased exponentially throughout the years. Google has provided a limited space of 15GB for its Gmail cloud storage. Once this storage gets full, users start to have problems while using the Gmail email client. Hence, they look for ways to free up this space.
Stay with us till the end, and you will find the solutions for exporting emails from Gmail to CSV. But before that, let us go through the reasons that lure users to do so.
Reasons to Export Gmail Emails to CSV
The most common reasons that compel users to export Gmail to CSV are given below.
- You can store the CSV file in your system and access it whenever necessary. Therefore, it acts as a backup of your Gmail email data that comes in handy in various situations.
- It can free up the storage space of 15GB provided by Google. Hence, resulting in the proper functioning of Gmail and preventing it from lagging.
- CSV is a common and easy-to-access file format that can be opened in Excel as spreadsheets. It is viewed offline and works for you when you cannot access your Gmail email data due to internet connectivity issues.
All the reasons mentioned above show us the necessity to export Gmail emails to CSV. You can do the same through the methods mentioned below.
How Do I Export my Gmail Account Emails to .csv?
Gmail emails can be migrated and exported using the methods mentioned below. You can take the help of these methods and perform your task accurately.
Exporting Gmail Emails through Outlook
To export your Gmail emails using the MS Outlook application, you will first need to configure your Gmail account in Outlook. Then, you can export your Gmail emails as a CSV file to your system.
Before we start with the method to export Gmail emails to CSV, some prerequisite steps need to be done to configure Gmail in Outlook.
How to Enable IMAP in Gmail?
- Sign In to your Gmail account and under the Settings Gear icon, choose See all Settings.
- Then, click on the Forwarding and POP/IMAP tab.
- Now, mark on the Enable IMAP option and press the Save Changes icon to enable IMAP access.
How to Allow Less Secure Apps in Gmail?
- Go to your Gmail account and click on Manage accounts under your image icon.
- Click on the Security Option on the left panel.
- After that, scroll down and select Turn on Access.
- Finally, turn on the Allow Less Secure Apps.
Once you complete the above prerequisite steps, you can now move forward towards the methods to export Gmail emails to CSV using Outlook. Follow the below steps to do the same.
- Launch Outlook and log in using the Gmail login id and the third-party app password.
- Select the File tab to see the further options.
- Now, hit the Open & Export option under the File tab.
- Then, click on the Import/Export option.
- Here in the Import and Export Wizard, pick the Export to a file option and hit Next.
- After that, select the Comma Separated Value (CSV) option and press the Next icon.
- Choose the email files and folders that you want to export as a CSV and click on the Next option.
- Select the directory on your PC to save the CSV file and click on Next.
- At last, check the option to export the emails from the folder and hit the Finish button.
As you complete the above steps precisely, you will be able to export Gmail emails to CSV files on your system.
Using Chrome Extension
You can export Gmail emails to CSV format using the Cloud HQ’s Email to Google Sheets extension . It is an easy-to-use extension that can be attached to the chrome browser and can convert the selected Gmail directly to the CSV file format as you click on it.
You can set it to download automatically, and it will download all your Gmail emails to CSV directly. You have to download this extension from the Google Store and install it. Also, it is required to add this extension to the Gmail account for which you want to export Gmail emails to CSV file format.
Along with that, an added advantage of this Chrome extension is that it also saves your Gmail emails to the PDF file format. However, there is a restriction with this tool that the free version of this software can convert only 60 emails per month. Also, if you wish to migrate more emails, then you have to purchase the premium version of the extension.
Directly from Gmail as an EML File
It is a tricky method for exporting Gmail emails to Excel and CSV file format selectively. You have to manually convert a single Gmail email at once.
For that, you need to export the Gmail email manually to the desktop as EML files. Then, you need to drag and drop the file to a new Excel sheet. It will automatically save the EML file as a CSV file format, and your particular email data will be in the CSV file. You can also use this method to export Gmail emails to Excel sheet.
All the methods mentioned above are manual solutions that can help you to export Gmail emails to CSV. These manual steps have some limitations that restrict them to be used extensively.
They are time-consuming as each email has to be exported separately. Moreover, they need a technical background to be executed, and novice users can face some issues while performing them. Thereafter to overcome all these drawbacks, you can opt for an expert solution, i.e., Gmail Backup Tool for Windows.
It is professional software that can directly resolve your issue and convert all the Gmail mailbox data to the CSV file format. Furthermore, it can save your Gmail emails into several other file formats like PDF, PST, MBOX, EMLX, JSON, EML, etc. It is also capable of migrating the Gmail emails along with all your attachments to other email clients like Yahoo Mail, Thunderbird, Outlook, Zoho Mail, IMAP, iCloud, etc.
Here, we have laid some knowledge on the steps to export Gmail emails to CSV file format. It is required to be exported due to several mentioned reasons. You can do it by following the manual methods mentioned in the blog. Additionally, if you encounter any issues while executing the manual solutions, you can opt for the professional third-party Gmail Backup Tool. It will prove to be the easiest solution to resolve all your Gmail conversion and migration needs and to export emails from Gmail to Excel or CSV.