Gmail is one of the most widely and popularly used email service providers around the globe. If users need to export Gmail emails to Outlook PST file format on a hard drive or computer then we are here to provide users some recommended solutions to easily archive Gmail emails to hard drive.
Users usually get attracted towards Gmail applications due to several reasons such as it is fast, free to use and is all time available, and offers a generous amount of storage space. But what if it is vulnerable to crashes and cyber-attacks or accidental deletion of the Gmail emails? Yes, deletion is one of the biggest reasons to archive or export Gmail emails to PC / Hard drive or move to another email account.
“If users want to export emails from Gmail directly from their Google account, then download the Gmail backup solution and perform the task. Users can also export emails from Gmail to PST without installing the Outlook application on their system.”
“If users already have a Gmail MBOX file, then they can directly export them to PST format. Just click on the download button below.
Manual Solution to Export Gmail Emails to Outlook PST File Format
Here users need to install MS Outlook applications on their system. Then, follow the given steps to Gmail to PST file format.
- Launch MS Outlook on your system.
- Configure the Gmail account in Outlook.
- Once the configuration is completed, go to File > Open & Export.
- Select Import/Export option.
- In the next window, choose Import to a file option.
- Click on Outlook data file (.pst) and hit next.
- Now choose the account to convert to PST.
- Browse the location to save the resultant file.
These are the steps to export Gmail emails to Outlook PST format. Users can also use the Google Takeout program which is free to use. We have discussed the steps below to use Takeout for exporting Gmail emails.
Steps to Export Gmail Account Data Using Google Takeout
There are a number of email client applications where users can transfer their Gmail data to view it. For this, Google offers a free utility named as Takeout. The program can easily export and archive Gmail emails on Hard drive / Computer in MBOX file format. To do this, follow the steps mentioned below.
- Sign-in to Google Takeout by entering the credentials.
- You will get to see different data items on home screen.
- Switch ON the mail icon and Switch OFF the rest of the folders. In addition, it provides two options here i.e, include all of your mail and select labels. Users can select the option as per the requirement.
- Now in the next window, choose the desired labels and hit the OK button and then click Next.
- Users can now change the File type and Archive file size.
- Choose the delivery mode in the next step. We have chosen to send download link via email.
- Click on the Create Archive button.
Note: The archiving process directly depends upon the number of items in the mailbox and the internet bandwidth. Hence, it can be a more-time consuming process to export Gmail emails in bulk to the local computer.
- Login to your Gmail account and view the sent mail by Google Takeout.
- Press the Download archive button.
- You will be redirected to Google Takeout tab and will start downloading emails from Gmail as ZIP format on local drive.
- The resultant file is in MBOX file format. You can import the folder to several MBOX supported email service providers.
There are several consequences with Google Takeout that makes it a non-ideal process to export emails from Gmail on PC. We have mentioned some limitations below.
- If the internet connectivity is lost during the process in Takeout, then users need to attempt the same steps for the downloading process.
- There is no date filter feature to export emails within a specific date range.
- It doesn’t ensure the complete data download. Several times it fails to download the archive file in the system.
Export Gmail Emails to Outlook Using DRS Gmail Backup Solution
As we have seen above, there are several limitations using the manual and Google Takeout method for exporting the emails from the Gmail account. Users can try the advanced DRS Gmail Backup software which can easily export Gmail to PST, MSG, PDF, EML, MBOX, AOL, Office 365, Thunderbird, Hotmail, etc. on the local drive. The utility is designed on advanced algorithms and offers several amazing features as listed below.
- Easily backup all the Gmail emails on a hard drive or local machine.
- Provides a date filter feature to exclude the unwanted emails from Gmail.
- Backup Gmail to PST, MSG, MBOX, EML, PDF, Thunderbird, Hotmail, Office 365, AOL mail, etc.
- Removes the duplicate emails on the basis of From, to, subject, body.
- Maintains the hierarchy of the original data after the backup process.
- Exports all the attachments including PPTs, Calendars, Contacts, etc.
- Offers a smooth user-friendly GUI.
- Compatible with all the versions of Windows OS and Mac OS.
- The free version allows users to export 50 Gmail emails for free.
In this blog, we have discussed the recommended methods to export Gmail emails to Outlook PST on Computer / Hard drive. However, there are some limitations with these manual approaches of exporting. So, to export emails from Gmail to PST and various other file formats or email clients, we would suggest to use the advanced automated DRS Gmail backup solution. The professional solution is more secure and effective to export all Gmail emails in no time.