Summary: For all users dealing with OneDrive error code 0x8004de40 when signing in to Onedrive, we suggest some of the most effective and easy solutions that help you resolve the OneDrive 0x8004de40 issue. We aim to cover all the aspects of this OneDrive error. Therefore, we talked about the reasons for the error message. Based on that, we described different approaches to resolve the problem.
OneDrive is a cloud storage platform developed by Microsoft. It is now a part of Office 365 that allows you to save your files and other data online. It facilitates users accessing their valuable items from virtually anywhere without depending on a physical drive.
What does the Error Code Mean?
The 0x8004de40 OneDrive Error means “OneDrive is having trouble connecting to the cloud.”
It becomes unable to establish a connection with the OneDrive server. If OneDrive cannot connect to the server, you cannot open the files that are located on the server.
Why Does OneDrive Error Code 0x8004de40 Occur?
As we talked about earlier, there are multiple reasons for this error code. Depending on that, you can opt for the most appropriate solution. Below we show some of the most prominent reasons for the OneDrive Sign in error 0x8004de40.
- The OneDrive error code means the OneDrive is unable to connect to the Internet. So, the prime reason for this issue is an unstable internet connection.
- Incorrect OneDrive configuration settings block the application to connect to the cloud server. Hence, you may experience the error code 0x8004d40.
- Another reason is an unsuccessful software update. When you fail to install the update properly, the OneDrive application may not function as usual and display the error code.
- If you are using an older version of Windows, you may encounter the same issue.
Now, we have learned about the significant causes of the OneDrive issue. It is time to check how to fix the OneDrive error message and get your application to work.
Best Solutions to Resolve Microsoft OneDrive Error Code 0x8004de40
There can be various reasons for a single error code you encounter while working with any application. So, first, you need to identify the root cause of the issue. After that, you can choose how to resolve OneDrive error code 0x8004de40 in Windows 7 and later versions. We describe a few methods to help you fix the issue in different scenarios. So, let us check these methods one by one.
Tired of backing up OneDrive Manually?
Use the professional OneDrive Migration Tool and download your complete OneDrive instantly
#1. Check the Internet Connectivity
As you know, the prime reason for the OneDrive error is 0x8004de40 is a lack of connection with the server. Therefore, the first fix for this problem is to identify why the connection cannot be made and troubleshoot it.
#2. Enable The TLS Options on Your Windows PC
If the above approach does not resolve the error, you can try to fix the problem by configuring the Internet properties. Sometimes, the reason for OneDrive being unable to form a connection – incorrect Internet properties.
Therefore, the most practical step you can take is to make appropriate arrangements in your profile.
- Press Win+R to open the Run Type inetcpl.cpl and hit the Enter button.
- In the Internet Properties wizard, switch to the Advanced tab.
- Tick the following options and press Apply, and then OK.
- Use TLS 1.0
- Use TLS 1.1
- Use TLS 1.2
- After that, restart your system and check whether the issue has been resolved or not.
#3. Set the LAN Settings to Automatically Detect
Sometimes the proxy server for LAN that you select manually also leads to the OneDrive error code 0x8004de40. If this is the case, you can resolve the issue by performing the steps below.
- Press Win+R and type cpl in the field. Hit the OK button.
- In the Internet Properties, switch to the Connections
- After that, click on the LAN Settings button at the bottom.
- Tick the Automatically Detect Settings option and untick the Use a proxy server for your LAN option.
- At last, click on the OK button to save the changes.
#4. Reset Windows Socket to Default Settings
The Windows Socket API is responsible for connecting the system to the Internet. Therefore, if you face OneDrive error 0x8004de40, it might be possible that the Windows socket is not properly configured. Follow the below instructions to reset Windows Socket to Default Settings.
- Click on the Start button and search for Command Prompt. Run the application as administrator.
- Now, type netsh Winsock reset catalog and press the Enter button.
- After the command has been executed, close the application.
Still searching for how to download OneDrive?
Install the DRS OneDrive Migration Software and save your data in no time.
#5. Reset the OneDrive Application in your System
Another approach to fix the error code 0x8004de40 OneDrive is to reset the OneDrive application to its default state. Follow the below steps to reset the OneDrive application.
- Open the Run Wizard and type the following command, and press Enter.
- After running the OneDrive resetting operation, restart your system.
- Again, open the Run Wizard and type the following command. Hit the Enter
- The above procedure will restore all the default settings of the application and fix all the issues caused by a change in configuration settings.
All the above methods help you fix the ‘cannot connect to OneDrive error code 0x8004de40.’ Every technique is associated with a particular cause for the error message. Apart from the above, there are many other reasons and methods to fix the issue.
Any issue in OneDrive makes your valuable data inaccessible. Thus, it is advised to back up your data at regular intervals to prevent data loss. So, we recommend the most reliable and authentic OneDrive backup tool that assists you in saving your OneDrive data to your system.
Best Solution to Backup OneDrive Items
DRS OneDrive Migration Tool is the most efficient and secure utility that allows you to migrate a OneDrive account to Google Drive, Local Drive, and another OneDrive account. This utility helps you to migrate complete OneDrive data without disturbing the file integrity. It offers numerous advanced features for better user experience and wide compatibility so that you can use the application on any version of Windows OS.
I hope this article has provided you with all the necessary information related to OneDrive error code 0x8004de40. We explained why the error occurs and how you can fix it. Apart from simple error messages, there are many other cases when your precious data may get lost. Therefore, we suggest you backup your OneDrive items using the professional tool.