There are situations when users need to switch from Mac to Windows-based MS Outlook email client just to access their MBOX files in MS Outlook email client. However, to do so, it is recommended to perform an MBOX to PST Conversion task. This blog highlights few essential points that will help you to Open MBOX file in Outlook 2016, 2013, & 2010 effectively.
What is MBOX
Unlike other file formats, MBOX is one of the most popular file formats which saves users email in text format. It is widely used by email clients like AppleMail, Thunderbird, Entourage, Eudora, PocoMail, etc. for organizing and managing users emails efficiently. Despite having many advantages, MBOX format has some drawbacks too. Let’s dig down deep to know further about the disadvantages of MBOX file format. And how to import MBOX files into MS Outlook 2016.
Is it possible to Open MBOX File in Outlook 2016, 2013 & 2010?
Now the question is, Can MBOX file access in MS Outlook 2016, 2013 & 2010? The answer is no. Platform dependency is one of the major drawbacks of MBOX format as all the email clients which are supported by the MBOX format save the entire data in the user’s computer. Hence, if a user wants to access his email data on another computer he cannot do it. The users only access their email data somewhere else by converting MBOX file into Outlook, which is easily accessible anywhere in the Windows-based Outlook email clients.
How to Export or Open MBOX File to Outlook?
Exporting MBOX file to Outlook is a complex and tedious task that can be done using two possible ways i.e. manual and automated. However, choosing any of either option is completely depends on the user’s preferences.
Manual Solution to Export MBOX file to Outlook
Below are the steps to export MBOX mailbox data from AppleMail to Outlook:
Essential Note: It is required to install Outlook Express and Eudora on the system prior to initiate this method.
Step 1: Export-Mailbox data using AppleMail
- Start AppleMail.
- Go to File and then Import Mailboxes.
- Choose file in MBOX format and click Continue button to proceed.
- Now, select MBOX file from the location where it saved and for importing and click Done once the import process gets done.
Step2: Convert MBOX file from AppleMail to Eudora
- Rename your MBOX file with .MBX extension if not.
- Move mailbox file to the Eudora default location. The default location of Eudora is “C:\Documents and Settings\ Application Data\Qualcomm\Eudora”.
- Run Eudora and Open MBOX file and close Eudora.
Step3: Move the file from Eudora to Outlook Express
- Launch Outlook Express.
- Go to File tab, then Import and click Messages.
- Now select Eudora from the list and click Next to proceed further.
- Go to Eudora default location to opt for .MBX file and click OK.
- Finally, click on Finish.
Step4: Export MBOX file from Outlook Express to MS Outlook
- Open Microsoft.
- Move to File tab, and click on Open > Import. It will lead you to the Import and Export Wizard.
- Now select Import Internet Mail and Addresses and click Next.
- Choose Outlook Express option here and click Next.
- Finally, click on Finish button.
This is how you can access your AppleMail data into MS Outlook effectively.
Drawbacks of Manual method
- Lengthy and time-consuming process.
- Require high technical skills.
- Mandatory to install additional applications.
- doesn’t guarantee successful conversion.
An automated solution to perform MBOX to PST Conversion
However, if you want a safe and hassle-free conversion of MBOX file to Outlook PST format, you need to opt for an automated MBOX Converter tool. The tool can be easily operated by any non-technical user as the software is embedded with a simple and easy user interface.
The Bottom Line
Here in this blog, we have described both the Aforementioned methods i.e. manual and automated in order to open MBOX file in Outlook 2016, 2013, 2010. However, I will suggest users to opt for a simple and more efficient automated solution to perform the risk-free conversion.