In this article, we guide you on how to move thunderbird to new computer without losing any data. Also, we will explain what to do for creating Thunderbird backup or migrating it to another email provider. So, read till the end.
Mozilla Thunderbird is a desktop-based email client that allows you to manage multiple email accounts on a single device. It supports both POP and IMAP email accounts. As you install the application, it creates a profile folder at its root location.
If you are setting up your Thunderbird account to another PC and want to transfer data from one PC to another, there is a manual procedure for it. It is simple and effective but requires basic technical expertise.
For moving Thunderbird to new computer, we copy the profile folder. This folder is also considered the Thunderbird backup folder. Now, before proceeding further, let us discuss some benefits of saving Thunderbird emails.
Benefits of Backing Up Thunderbird Profile
Creating a backup of your mailbox data is beneficial in many ways. Below we are discussing some prominent advantages for backing up and migrating thunderbird to new computer.
- It helps you to backup your Thunderbird mailbox data and restore it when needed.
- You need not manually add any Thunderbird profile to another PC at the time of setting up email accounts.
- Also, you can export your Thunderbird data to another webmail or email client.
Now, we have learned why we need to copy thunderbird to new computer. It is time to check the effective technique to transfer your data.
How to Move Thunderbird to a New Computer?
You have to perform a two-step procedure to migrate thunderbird to new PC. First, you need to locate the Thunderbird profile file and copy it to an external drive. Finally, paste it to the destination system and add it to the Thunderbird profile.
Let us check how to do it.
#1. Copy Thunderbird Data
- Launch Mozilla Thunderbird Application in your system.
- Now click on the Menu button in the top right corner.
- After that, click on Help then select the More Troubleshooting Information option.
- The Troubleshooting Information page will be opened. Scroll down to the Profile folder and press the Open Folder button.
- It will open the location of the Profile Folder. Go three levels up to the Roaming folder.
- Now, locate the Thunderbird folder and right-click on it. Copy the complete folder.
- Note: Close the Thunderbird email client because it may hinder.
- After that, paste the folder to the External Drive or OneDrive.
#2. Set up Thunderbird on New Computer
- Install Thunderbird application to the new computer.
- Launch the application but do not create a new profile. Instead, close the setup wizard.
- Click on the Menu button and select Help and then More Troubleshooting Information.
- After that, click on the Open Folder button and return three levels up to the Roaming
- At last, copy the Thunderbird folder from the external drive or One Drive and paste it anywhere in the Roaming folder.
By performing the above steps, you can move Thunderbird to new computer easily. You do not require any additional tools to complete the migration.
Transfer Thunderbird to New Computer Using Pro Method
The above procedure is suitable when you want to move Thunderbird from one computer to another. But what if you want to migrate your Thunderbird data to a Gmail or Yahoo Mail account? The best solution is the DRS Thunderbird Backup Tool that assists in Thunderbird migration to multiple email accounts and backup into various file formats.
I hope you have learned how to move Thunderbird to new computer without using any additional tool. Copy your Thunderbird profile folder and paste it to the other system using an external drive. Also, for migrating mailboxes to a different email provider a professional software is the best solution.