Summary: VHD File is corrupted and unreadable error is one of the most common issues of VHD files faced by many users. If you are dealing with the same issue, stay with us because here we will suggest the best solution to resolve your problem. Along with that, we will discuss the main reasons for the VHD file or directory is corrupted and unreadable issue. So, read this article carefully.
What are VHD Files?
Virtual Hard Disks or VHD files are used to store the data in the same way a physical hard disk drive stores. When you use a virtual machine on your system, you will require a VHD/VHDX file. It enables you to run a complete operating system in your system.
Reasons for VHD File is Corrupted And Unreadable Error?
Your virtual hard disk or partition gets corrupted because of many reasons. Although there are multiple causes to which the .vhd file becomes corrupted and unreadable. A few of them are listed below:
- A hard disk crash also leads to VHD file corruption.
- Another reason for VHD file corruption is a network failure.
- The sudden shutdown of the system is the significant cause of multiple issues.
- Virus or Malware attacks in your system lead to various problems. It can also corrupt your Virtual Hard Disk.
Because of the above reasons, you encounter the VHDX file is corrupted and unreadable issue. So, now let us check how you can fix the VHD/VHDX file corruption.
How to Fix VHD File is Corrupted And Unreadable Error
Based on the reason for the VHD/VHDX file corruption, there are different ways to repair the damaged virtual hard disk file. First, we will discuss how you can fix the issue through the inbuilt functionalities of Windows. After that, we discuss the professional solution to restore your VHD/VHDX file.
#1. Create New Virtual Hard Disk
- Right-click on the My Computer and select the Manage option.
- It will open the Computer Management system. Click on the Disk Management option.
- After that, expand the More actions tab and select Create VHD file.
- Define the properties of the VHD file and press OK.
- Now, you can sync all your VHD data to this newly created file and delete the corrupted VHD file.
#2. Repair Virtual Hard Disk Via Windows Powershell
- Open the Windows menu and search for Windows Powershell. Run it as administrator.
- Enter the following command and press Enter.
- It will scan the VHD file and repair the issue.
#3. Use VHD Repair Tool to Fix the VHDX File is Corrupted or Unreadable issue
- Download the Microsoft Virtual Disk Tool (Disk2VHD.exe)
- Launch the tool and select the corrupted VHD file.
- After that, click on the Repair button to start file repair.
- In a short time, the tool will finish repairing your VHD file.
#4. Fix VHD/VHDX File through CHKDSK Command
Before performing the above command, you need to unmount the Virtual Hard Disk. So, you can easily scan and repair the disk.
- Press Windows Key and search for Command Prompt.
- Launch the Command Prompt as administrator.
- Type CHKDSK and press Enter.
- It will scan the file and repair the damaged file.
These are some effective methods to fix VHD the file or directory is corrupted and unreadable error. If you are a technical user, these methods are suitable. However, they are not suitable when you do not have much technical knowledge. In such a situation, we recommend you opt for the professional method.
Professional Solution to Fix Virtual Hard Disk File Corruption
DRS VHD Recovery Tool is an ideal solution for every user who does not have technical expertise. It repairs corrupted/damaged VHD/VHDX files and restores complete data without changing the file integrity. This utility supports both MBR and GPT formats. Moreover, the application provides various advanced features for effective file recovery.
I hope this article provides you with all the required information related to the VHD file is corrupted and unreadable error. We described what are the most prominent reasons for file corruption and how you can fix the issue. At last, we suggested the best solution to repair the corrupted virtual hard disk file.