Microsoft Outlook is a popularly known and used email service provider around the globe. But sometimes Outlook users face errors in accessing their important mailbox data. In this article, we will discuss the error code 8 Microsoft Outlook unable to connect to proxy server and how to get rid of the error. The connection between the Outlook and Exchange server is validated with the help of the SSL certificates. The SSL certificate makes a secure connection as Outlook makes connection with the Exchange server through HTTPS request. Sometimes, rather than from any trusted authority, the SSL certificate is self-signed. In such situations, Outlook shows error and cannot connect to proxy server.
Importance of SSL Certificates in Exchange Server
The SSL certificates help users to conduct a secure email communication between the Exchange server accounts. The certificates encrypt messages through 2048-bit RSA signature key and 256-bit symmetric encryption. If by any chance any hacker is able to access your emails then the emails will appear to be gibberish as the emails will be encrypted. No one can decrypt the emails without the valid signature key.
- The SSL certificate provides an assurance to the email service provider that is not communicating to an imposter but is a genuine Exchange server.
- Microsoft Outlook with the web cannot access Outlook with a self signed certificate. It is required to have a certificate issued by a trusted authority only.
- The valid SSL certificate removes the need for self-signed certificates in all the email service providers.
Causes Behind the Error 8 Outlook unable to connect to Proxy server
There can be various reasons behind the error 8 message apart from the SSL security certificate incompletion. Some of the reasons are mentioned below –
- Microsoft Outlook installation is incomplete.
- Windows registry files in MS Outlook have become corrupted.
- Corruption in installation files.
- Any software or hardware related corruption.
If there is an issue with the SSL certificate, then the system might face issues such as –
- The computer will show a random error or will crash.
- The Microsoft Outlook program will crash abruptly and frequently.
- Actions will get stuck or hanged for some seconds.
- Outlook response gets slower.
Also Read: Top 10 Outlook Errors And How To Fix Them – Useful Insights
How to Get Rid of Outlook is Unable to Connect to the Proxy Server Error
You need to purchase the SSL certificate from any authorized vendor, if you are facing error 8 and cannot connect to proxy server while trying to connect to the Exchange server account. Follow the below steps to add the SSL certificate in your Microsoft Outlook application.
- Open the Outlook application.
- Click on the file tab
- Click on Options
- Now go to the trust section in the Outlook options window. Click on the trust center settings button
- Go to the email security tab and press the settings button
- Click on the browse button to choose the signing certificate and encryption certificate.
- Click on the Import/Export button after coming back to the email security page
- Check on the import existing digital ID from a file and click on browse to import a digital ID and its password.
- Now restart your Outlook application and try to connect to connect it again with the Exchange server.
Sometimes the reason behind the error 8 Outlook unable to connect to Proxy server can be the corruption in the data file. Users can easily retrieve the OST data using the DRS OST Recovery Tool which is able to recover deleted OST file and entire corrupt or inaccessible Exchange OST data and allows to save the recovered OST files in PST, EML, MBOX, MSG, PDF, CSV, Gmail, Yahoo, Thunderbird, AOL, etc.
In this article, we have discussed how to fix error 8 message Outlook unable to connect to Proxy server and causes of the error. Also we have mentioned, if the issue is with the corruption in the Exchange mailbox data then you can use the smart DRS OST recovery tool to recover the entire mailbox data.