Overview: If you are an Outlook user, you might have heard of the ‘Outlook data file has reached the maximum size’ issue. This is a common problem with those with large mailbox sizes. In this blog, we will get a closer look at this problem and how to deal with it. So, stay with us.
Microsoft Outlook creates an offline copy of its mailbox which are known as Outlook data files. When you receive new emails or send an email to anyone, these data files get updated. Because of this, the size of Outlook offline files increases gradually.
Like any other file type, PST files have a certain size limit. When you exceed this limit, it starts creating problems and showing error messages.
What is the Maximum Size for Outlook Data File?
Outlook PST and OST files created by new versions of Outlook have a size limit of 50 GB. Earlier, it was capable of storing up to 20 GB of data. When this limit is exceeded, the Outlook data file hinders the Outlook operations.
Let us explore what happens when an Outlook data file has reached the maximum size.
What Happens When Outlook Reached the Maximum Size?
When Outlook reaches the maximum size limit, the size of the Outlook data file corresponding to that mailbox will also increase. And, an oversize data file causes various issues in Outlook. Some of the most common problems due to large-sized PST files are.
- It slowdowns the Outlook application. Sometimes, it freezes the screen. You would not be able to perform any operation in the tool.
- When Outlook reaches the maximum size, it would not be able to store further emails.
- Large-sized OST/PST files are the source of numerous Outlook errors. It might be possible that you are facing an error message that has a direct relationship with an Outlook data file.
- It becomes very difficult to share the PST file as it has reached its maximum limit.
- While synchronizing with the MS Exchange server, large-sized PST files are not suitable.
These are the problems with large-sized PST files. Now, you have plenty of reasons to reduce the PST file size. Let us check How to fix the oversized PST file size.
How to Deal with the ‘Outlook data file has reached the maximum size’ Issue?
This Outlook issue originates when your mailbox size exceeds the threshold limit. Based on that, you can opt for any suitable method. The two viable approaches to solve this problem need either to compress the data file or split it into multiple smaller files. Let us explore these solutions one by one.
#1. Compressing the Outlook Data File Will Resolve your Issue
MS Outlook has various options using which you compress the PST file to a great extent. It reduces the size of Outlook files to a tolerable limit and hence resolves the Outlook data file has reached the maximum size issue.
Use the Compact Now Feature
- First, launch MS Outlook in your system.
- Delete all the unnecessary mailbox items.
- After that, enable the Folder-list view of the mailbox items.
- Right-click on the Deleted Items folder and choose the Empty Folder option.
- Now, click on the File button and choose the Info tab.
- Press the Account Setting icon and then select the Account Setting option from the list.
- In the Account Settings wizard, switch to the Data Files tab.
- After that, choose the desired data file and click on the Settings button.
- Now, in the appeared wizard, click on the Compact Now button.
Archiving Outlook Mailbox
- Open MS Outlook and click on the File button.
- Choose the Info tab and click on the Tools icon.
- After that, select the Mailbox Cleanup option from the list.
- Choose the Cleanup Tools option and press the AutoArchive button.
- Now, specify the desired Outlook data file and press OK.
#2. Split Outlook PST files into Multiple Smaller Files
Another approach you can adopt to reduce the size of the Outlook PST file is splitting the single data file into multiple smaller files. It is the best solution when you do not want to keep all your mailbox emails in a single file. Now, you can divide the Outlook data file into various files by different techniques. Let us check them all.
#1. Move Mailbox to New Outlook Data File
- Open the MS Outlook application in your system.
- Click on the New Items option to expand the list of options.
- Select the More Items option and then choose Outlook Data Files.
- After that, assign a specific name to the file and press the OK button.
- Now, select the emails you want to move to the new Outlook data file.
- Right-click on them. Choose Move >> Copy to Folder option.
- From the Copy-Item dialog box, select the destination and press OK.
The above methods are free of cost and efficiency. After performing the above steps, you can easily fix the ‘Outlook data file has reached the maximum size’ issue.
What If the Manual Methods Don’t Work?
The manual methods are effective but not suitable for novices and non-technical users. These procedures contain complicated steps which require technical expertise to perform. Also, often these methods fail to give the expected results.
So, what should you do when your mailbox has reached its maximum size limit?
DRS PST Compress Tool is the best solution for everyone to reduce the size of Outlook PST files. It is best suited for non-technical users because of its easy-to-use functionalities. It is a fast and effective tool that reduces Outlook PST file size without Outlook maintaining the file integrity.
When Compressing Outlook File Does Not Work?
Compressing the Outlook file size can only reduce the size up to a certain limit. Also, this approach has some drawbacks when you compress large files. Therefore, the best alternative is to use the DRS PST Splitter Tool. It allows you to divide your Outlook PST files into various small files without damaging the file content.
In A Nutshell!
The Outlook data file has reached the maximum size is one of the most common Outlook errors. You can fix this issue by compressing the data file and splitting the PST file. The manual ways are quite complicated. Therefore, you should opt for a professional third-party application.