Users can allow the two-step authentication on the Google account that requires a special code either through a mobile app or a text message to accompany the username and the password. However, third-party applications such as Gmail, Microsoft Outlook, and Thunderbird don’t respond to a two-factor challenge. If a user is using a Gmail email client to send and receive email messages then the user needs to create a Gmail app password to access Gmail data in the third-party application. Gmail app specific password is a special password that is linked to your account which is used for a specific service or program.
How To Create Gmail App Password Specifically For An Application
To generate a Gmail login password in other application, add ons or utility to access the Gmail account through the IMAP or POP with the two-step authentication, follow the steps provided below –
- Click on your name or photo at the top right corner.
- Click on the Google Account button on the sheet appeared.
- Go to the Security option in the left sidebar.
- Go to the signing-in to Google section.
- In the Password and sign-in method section, click on the App passwords.
- You need to enter your Gmail password if prompted. Then click on the Next button.
- In the Select app dropdown menu, choose either mail or other option. If you have selected the mail option, in the select device menu, choose a device. And if, you have selected the Other (Custom name) option, manually enter the application or add-on, device’s name.
- Click on the Generate button to get the Gmail app specific password once the above step is completed.
- Locate and use the password in Your app password for your device.
- Copy the Gmail app password and paste it into the email program or Gmail add-on.
- Click on Done
How To Manage Gmail App Specific Password?
The application-specific passwords are valuable as the user can regenerate a password instead of changing the main password to your Gmail account. If the user needs to generate app specific password Gmail new then revoke the previously Gmail app password which is no longer in use for the same application or program.
Besides to the Google account, you should create the two-step authentication for a wide range of the accounts, and also to your social media handles.
Users can use the third-party professional DRS Gmail Backup Tool which is an advanced application. With the help of the smart Gmail backup tool, users can easily save the Gmail mailbox data in MBOX, EML, MSG, PST, CSV, PDF, Word document, etc. It can also export Gmail data to another email client application such as another Gmail account, Yahoo, Hotmail, Office 365, Thunderbird, etc. It doesn’t require any technical expertise to run the utility.
Above in this blog, we have provided the step by step guide to generate Gmail app password for any specific application or program. We hope this guide will help you to generate app specific password Gmail without any hassle.