Are you looking for a method to set up Gmail IMAP settings in Outlook? If yes, you have landed on the right page. Here, you will learn different techniques for the same. Also, you will understand why you should set up your Gmail to Outlook. So, read the blog carefully.
Gmail is a prominent email client by Google that provides advanced features to users. Google frequently releases updates of Gmail to fix various issues in the software. A better way to use Gmail is by adding your Gmail account to the Outlook application.
Before adding your email account to Outlook, you need to learn the main reason behind this migration.
Why Should You Set Up Gmail IMAP Settings in Outlook?
There are various benefits for adding your Gmail account to the Outlook application. You can avail them all. In Microsoft Outlook, you can manage multiple email accounts. So, if you have other email accounts, you can manage them all in one place. Let us explore the reasons.
- With Outlook, you can access your mailbox data offline. Outlook provides you a facility to access some features without the internet. However, Gmail does not offer such features to open emails without the internet.
- Outlook categorized emails by folders. It has different folders for every category. On the other hand, Gmail has a label system to categorize emails which is not a suitable criterion.
- In Outlook, you will get various advanced features like calendars, tasks, setting up meetings, etc. These features are not available in Gmail.
The above are the main reasons for adding Gmail IMAP account settings in the Outlook application. Now, it’s time to learn the method to do so.
Also Read: How to Fix MS Outlook IMAP Error – 0x800CCC0E
How to Add Gmail IMAP Settings in Outlook?
There are two main techniques to set up Google mail IMAP settings in Outlook. The first method is the manual technique. It is a free method that is suitable for new users. The standard methods are effective. So, let us learn the manual procedure to add Gmail in Outlook.
Backup Google Mail Data
Download Free DRS Gmail Backup Tool to transfer or backup Gmail emails to PC, external hard drive, hard drive, Outlook PST, Hotmail, AOL, Yahoo, MSG, EML, MBOX, iCloud, Yandex Mail, etc. to safeguard your crucial Gmail data.
While setting up Outlook IMAP settings for Gmail, you need to perform the following steps.
- Enable IMAP in Gmail
- Set up Gmail account in Outlook
Step 1: Enable IMAP in Gmail
- Sign in to your Gmail account and click on the Gear
- Press the See all settings It will open the settings page.
- Now, move to the Forwarding and POP/IMAP option to enable IMAP server settings for Gmail.
- After that, select the Enable IMAP option in the IMAP Access section.
- At last, click on the Save Changes button to complete the procedure.
Step 2: Set up Gmail account in Outlook
- Open the Outlook desktop application. Click on the File option and then press the Add Account button.
- Now, a new dialogue box will appear. Choose the Manual Setup or Additional Server Type option and press Next.
- Select the POP or IMAP option and click on the Next button.
- After that, on the next page, fill in the following details.
Your Name – This name will display when you open Outlook.
Email Address – Your Gmail email address
Account Type – IMAP
Incoming Mail Server – imap.gmail.com
Outgoing Mail Server (SMTP) – smtp.gmail.com
Username – Desired Gmail email address
Password – Your Gmail password
- Now, click on the More Settings option and then select the Outgoing Server
- Tick the My Outgoing server (SMTP) requires authentication After that, select the Use the same settings as my incoming mail server option.
- After that, switch to the Advanced tab and fill in the following details.
- Incoming Mail Server (IMAP): 993
- Use the following type of encrypted connection: SSL
- Outgoing Server (SMTP): 465
- Use the following type of encrypted connection: SSL
- Click OK to save the change. You will return to the Add account page.
- At last, press the Next Outlook will test the connection with the server.
- After establishing the connection, click on the Finish button to complete the process.
This manual approach to add Gmail IMAP settings Outlook 2016 is complicated and time-consuming to perform. Therefore, it is not suitable for beginners. So, you need a professional method to synchronize Gmail email to Outlook.
Sometimes, while setup the IMAP setting in Gmail, User might face the data loss issue. So, it is recommended to back up the Gmail emails before setting the IMAP configuration.
Professional Solution to Backup Gmail Emails
DRS Gmail Backup Tool is third-party software that migrates your Gmail mailbox to Outlook. It is a fast and easy method to migrate your emails without damaging the file content. This utility offers various advanced features to make the conversion more effective. Moreover, the tool has an interactive GUI so that even novice users can easily migrate their Gmail data.
Well, the above write-up is dedicated to setup the manual configuration of IMAP in Gmail email client. As I have mentioned above the scenario for IMAP setting in Gmail. Sometimes, users can face the data loss while the manual setup of IMAP in Gmail. To avoid such circumstances, I recommend users to backup their Gmail emails by a professional approach mentioned above.
1 thought on “How To Set Up Gmail IMAP Settings in Outlook 2016 and Below Versions?”
Thank you for the valuable information, Found this useful.